Sunday, March 1, 2009

"I think I really messed up."

Typical Sunday afternoon at our house, Jeremy was working on taxes and then sat down on the couch to relax and watch some college basketball, I was doing laundry and decided to make cookies, everything was good, sun was shining in the house and the dogs were content. Until, Jeremy got antsy and decided to begin some of the "small" projects around the house we're been talking about lately. Because of chaos of work, he doesn't get much or any time until after April 15, to do house stuff. We've been talking about minor remodeling of the bathroom, change vanity or paint/refinish and get new handles, change our mirror/cabinet and change the shower fixtures. Jeremy started with the "easiest" of them all, the shower fixtures. Approx 1:00 he starts working on taking them off to replace and is running up and down the stairs turning water off, etc... He stops at one point and says to me, "I really am not sure I know what I'm doing," and I say, "I was just going to ask you that exact question." Long story short, he removes the on/off knob from the shower and unknowingly breaks the pipe, therefore we have a flowing water fountain when the water is turned one. He comes to me, very pale and says, "I think I really messed up." I thought he was kidding, he was not, and therefore didn't have water for a chunk of time on Sunday. I was not so worried about anything other than going to the bathroom, due to my decreasing badder size and excessive water drinking, I was thinking I'll have to ask the neighbors to use theirs. After some frantic calls to plumbers, friends and family, his dad Don came over and put in a shut off valve for the shower, so we can turn the water back on. Fortunately no major "accidents," unfortunately we don't have a shower and now have a hole in the wall next to the toilet and as the plumber comes by to investigate the situation, that hole may grow. Looks like we'll be doing a lot more remodeling of the bathroom than first expecting!! Dad, we may have to use your help/expertise in this department, also Andy just did the bathroom remodel thing, so maybe we'll steal him too!! Until then, we'll be bathing like our ancestors before us, bar of soap, washcloth and a sink full of water!!

FYI- I feel like I need add a little to this, after the fact, and let everyone know that a plumber has been to our house and fixed everything!! I asked him how bad Jeremy mucked things up and the plumber responded that he was really surprised about how good it looked??? I was a little confused too, he said the problem he encountered, he did an excellent job of fixing it and the sautering (sorry I don't spell home improvement words very often) was excellent!! I hope this doesn't give him the wrong idea about being a "good plumber." YEAH JEREMY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment